Charles Robert Wade-Gery, Esq., M.A., J.P., a Prominent citizen from the History of Huntingdonshire, England.
Charles Robert Wade-Gery
For more than four centuries the ancient gentle family of Gery have been men of influence and renown in the counties of Huntingdon, Bedford, Hertford and Cambridge. Thomas Gery, of Royston, was High Sheriff of the last named shire in 1509 – the year in which our first Tudor king died. Bushmead Priory in Bedfordshire has since 1560 been the seat of the family, and we find one Richard Gery, of that place, was a gentleman of the Privy Chamber to Charles I, the Royal Martyr afterwards bestowing the honour of knighthood on his youngest son.
In the eighteenth century, the Rev. Hugh Wade, of an old Lincolnshire family, married the heiress of Bushmead Priory and assumed Letters Patent the additional surname of Gery.
Mr Wade-Gery, of Wornditch hall, Kimbolton, is the eldest son of this gentleman’s fifth son, the Rev. Robert Wade-Gery, Rector of Colmworth, Beds., by Harriet, daughter of William Day, of St Neots, and was born at Bushmead Priory, 22nd September 1838.
He was educated at Marlborough College and later on at Uppingham. He matriculated at Emanuel College, Cambridge, and took his B.A. degree in 1861. He proceeded to the degree of M.A. of that ancient University in 1865.
On 23rd May 1871, Mr Wade-Gery married Emily, only daughter of Major James Hayes, of the 5th Dragoon Guards, by whom, with four daughters, he has a son and heir, Robert Townend Wade-Gery. Since 1864 he had been domiciled in the County of Hunts, before that he resided in Beds.
Mr Wade-Gery is a typical English gentleman of the old school, a firm supporter of the Unionist party, a sound churchman, and patron of the living of Colmworth, a diligent member of the County bench, having been a J.P. for Bedfordshire since 1903, and a thorough sportsman. He still rides straight to hounds, and enjoys a day’s shooting in the stubble – it is then small wonder that with his genial nature and broad-minded tolerance he should be popular with every class of the community in which he resides.
Bushmead Priory came to the Gery family in the days of Queen Elizabeth. As its name imports it is an old monastic foundation and at the Dissolution was granted by Henry VIII to William Gascoigne, Steward to Cardinal Wolsey, and by him sold in 1560 to William Gery, of Herts.
This ancient mansion is now in the possession of the head of the family, Mr William Hugh Wade-Gery, while the subject of our sketch resides at Wornditch Hall, which for several generations had been the property of his mother’s family, the Days. Mr Wade-Gery is a member of the New Oxford and Cambridge, and Huntingdon Town and Country Clubs.
George Gaskell - circa 1900