The Right Hon. the Earl of Sandwich, K.C.V.O., a Prominent citizen from the History of Huntingdonshire, England.
Edward George Henry Montagu, eighth Earl of Sandwich
For close on two decades the County of Huntingdon has had at the head of its official and administrative heirarchy the notable figure of Edward George Henry Montagu, eighth Earl of Sandwich, who as Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum, has filled with dignity and general acceptance the responsible duties of his high position.
The noble family of Montague has for several centuries played a prominent part in the national annals and contributed in no small degree to the smoothness with which the Restoration of the Monarchy was accomplished in 1600, in return for which eminent services King Charles II conferred the title of Earl of Sandwich on Sir Edward Montagu.
The present peer, who is his lineal descendant, was born 13th July 1839, being the son of the seventh Earl, by Lady Mary Paget, daughter of the first Marquess of Anglesey, whose ancestors also played a notable part in our history from the days of Bluff King Hal onwards to Waterloo and Balaclava.
His lordship was educated at Eton, and electing to pursue a military career, was given a commission in the Grenadier Guards in 1857. He became Lieutenant and Captain, 1862; Adjutant to the 2nd Battalion in 1864; Captain and Lieutenant-Colonel in 1870; and Colonel in 1881. His connection with this famous regiment had on several occasions led to his being attached to those special embassies which from time to time are despatched from the Court of St James to the great Continental Courts. In 1858, as Viscount Hinchingbrooke, he went to Constantinople in this capacity, in 1861 to the Court of Berlin, then merely that of the King of Prussia, in 1874, to St Petersburg, and a year later to the picturesque barbarous Court of Shereefean Empire at Morocco.
Lord Sandwich, who is a staunch Unionist and devoted Churchman, represented the Borough of Huntingdon from 1876 to 1884, when its representation became merged into that of the County.
His close connection with this important Fenland centre is shown by the fact that from 1897 to 1899 he occupied the position of Mayor of Huntingdon, and gained great personal popularity from the courteous dignity and business-like manner in which he discharged his duties as Chief Magistrate of the County Town.
His services to the County as Chairman of the County Council have been very great, for his lordship is a practical agriculturalist and owns some 20,000 acres of land.
Lord Sandwich is deeply interested in the work of the Order of St John of Jerusalem, of which he is a Knight of Justice. He also holds the position of Hon. Colonel 5th Battalion Kings Royal Rifles, and has held other important military posts.
His residences are 18, Buckingham Gate, S.W., Hooke Court, Beaminster and Hinchingbrooke House, Huntingdon, which has been the chief seat of this branch of the Montagu family since the early part of the XVIIth century. It is noted for its picture gallery with splendid examples of the great masters of all schools. His lordship was created K.C.V.O. in 1906, and is a member of the Travellers’ Turf and United Service Clubs.
George Gaskell - circa 1900